How to create a wildflower meadow
- Wildflowers do not like competition – remove any plants growing in your planned seedbed such as weeds, nettles, docks and couch grass. Be aware weed killer is not advisable in areas of wildlife.
- Dig the soil over and firm it down before raking to create a level seed bed.
- Sow the wildflower seed either by hand or with a seed spreader. We recommend sowing the wildflower seed at 5g per 1 square meter of soil.
- Rake the wildflower seed into the soil and moisten the ground well.
- Protect the newly seeded area from birds, cats and the like with a visual deterrent such as hanging C. Ds, creating noise for example using wind chimes or tightly fitting net above the seedbeds until the plants have established.
- Ensure the soil is kept moist during hot, dry periods for the best germination.